If I sell investment property for less than the adjusted basis, do I owe capital gains?

August 12, 2011

From:  John
Date:  14 Oct 2008

I purchased property in 2005 for $1,100,000 using about $450,000 from proceeds in a 1031 exchange as a down payment. My adjusted basis was about $650,000. The original mortgage for the property was about $500,000. After one year I refinanced for $797,000 and took $297,000 in cash. Now the fair market value of the property is about $600,000.

If I short sale or walk away, am I still responsible for the full capital gain tax? If I sell for less than the adjusted basis, am I still responsible for capital gains taxes?

Thank you



Date:  5 Nov 2008

Hello John,

If the sale price of the property is the fair market value, which you estimated was $600,000, and given your tax basis of the property was $650,000, you will probably have a loss relating to the sale. If this was a rental property, the loss could be an ordinary Section 1231 loss.

You will have ordinary cancellation of debt income of about $797,000 - $600,000 = $197,000.

To really see how your situation will settle out, you need to consult with a tax advisor. That’s our business!

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy