How soon can I convert a 1031 replacement property into my primary residence?

July 14, 2003

Subject:  1031 exchange
Date:  Sat, 28 Jun 2003
From:  Jaime


I'm doing a 1031 exchange (a rental house). How soon can I convert this replacement property into my primary residence without being taxed?



Date:  Mon, 7 Jul 2003

Hello Jaime,

There are no solid guidelines on this issue. I would suggest that you wait at least a year, preferably two.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy