Can we exchange our rentals for a home, then rent it to our son?

February 9, 2000

Subject:  1031 options
From:  Gary and Diane Brauch
Date:  Sun, 16 Jan 2000

Michael -

We have a son facing the daunting prospect of buying a home in an inflated California market. In considering ways to help, we came up with the following scenario.

We own two rental condos. If we exchanged them under 1031 to a home, sold half of the home to our son, and rented the other half to him, the tax breaks could be significant.

Is this something the IRS would approve? If not, do you have any other creative suggestions?


Gary and Diane Brauch


Date:  29 Jan 2000

Hello Gary and Diane,

It might be possible to make an exchange as you suggest. You would have to charge a fair market value rental.

Also, you would be required to file California non-resident income tax returns, which could increase your tax return preparation fees (if you don't live in California).

Another idea is, if you have equity available in your residence, to borrow against it and loan the funds to your son. You can take a tax deduction for interest for a loan secured by your home for up to $100,000 borrowed in excess of the amount borrowed relating to purchasing or improving the residence.

You should charge interest to your son for the loan. By charging the applicable federal rates, you could qualify interest expense for any loan as investment interest expense, deductible up to the amount of interest income. In this case, you can borrow from any source, including refinancing your rental properties.

This is complex stuff, so consult with a local tax advisor.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

We have more answers to frequently asked real estate tax questions! We also offer up-to-date information about new tax real estate tax developments in Michael Gray, CPA's Real Estate Tax Letter.

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog
© 2018

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy